The meeting held in Nairobi, Kenya in 2005, approved the Agreement establishing the Regional Disaster Management Center Of Excellence in Nairobi whose objectives are as follows:
- Serve as a mechanism to mobilize resources and improve disaster management capabilities in all Participating Countries.
- Facilitate, promote and strengthen cooperation at the regional and international levels to effectively manage disaster programs in collaboration with relevant partners.
- Develop a database of Participating States’ disaster response capabilities.
- Coordinate with relevant governmental, inter-governmental and non-governmental organizations to identify reliable, comprehensive information on assistance that might be available in the event of a disaster.
- Develop a disaster management training program for Participating Countries.
- Develop, promote, and facilitate a comprehensive information management program that will include a website, a public awareness campaign, and communications networks among Participating Countries.
- Develop a budget that will sustain the operation of the RDMCOE once initial funding has been expended.
- Develop, with the consent of the Participating States, a regional response mechanism to coordinate disaster management efforts.
- Conduct such other activities as the Participating Countries may decide in furtherance of the objectives of this Agreement.