Specify the most appropriate policy instrument(s) to be used in each country for Disaster Risk Reduction and Disaster Management Initiatives.
- Develop and implement a National Disaster Management Policy and ensure that policy goals are explicit, comprehensive and accessible.
Regional Implementation Target 1
- National Disaster Management Policy or equivalent instrument initiated by all Participating Countries, incorporating targets and actions, as appropriate.
- Ensure that Disaster Management policies are fully integrated into and harmonized with other strategic or planning processes and documents, in particular those related to biodiversity, desertification, climate change, agriculture, trade in endangered species, water resource management, integrated coastal zone management and environmental planning in general, including national strategies for sustainable development.
Regional implementation target 2
- National Disaster Management Policy or equivalent instrument fully integrated into other strategic and planning processes by all Participating Countries including poverty eradication strategies, environmental resources management and national strategies for sustainable development.
- Ensure that best practice examples of integration and harmonization of policies and legislation are made available to the RDMCOE Secretariat so as to contribute to the development of good practice guidance to assist participating countries.
Operational Plan 2.2
- Develop, review, amend, and implement national legislation, institutions and practices, including impact assessment and valuation, in all Participating Countries, to ensure that the Agreement is being fully implemented.
- Carry out a review of legislation and institutions, as necessary, amend or modify legislation and institutional procedures to meet the dictates of the Agreement.
Regional Implementation Target 3
RDMCOE Secretariat to identify at least 8 Participating Countries to initiate and if possible complete comprehensive reviews of their laws and institutions. Apply Strategic Environmental Assessment practices when reviewing national and provincial policies, programmes, and plans that may impact upon Disaster Management Initiatives.
Regional Implementation Target 4
- RDMCOE Secretariat to identify at least 8 Participating Countries to have in place Strategic Environmental Assessment for policies, programmes and plans impacting on Disaster Management Initiatives. If not yet in place, develop and implement Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) legislation so as to ensure that an EIA is carried out, as appropriate, in Environmental and Disaster Management Initiatives.
- Ensure that these impact assessments include full and appropriate consideration of the environmental, social, economic, and cultural impacts.
Regional Implementation Target 5
- All Participating Countries to have required EIA, as appropriate, for proposed projects, developments or changes which may impact on Environmental and Disaster Management Initiatives.
- Promote the continuing development, wide dissemination primarily through the Internet-based resource kit.